We are pleased to announce that the Greening Events II project is now underway. The main aim of Greening Events II is to build on the work of the initial exploratory project, in order to provide an exemplar in profiling the extent and sustainability impacts of HE events and travel within the University of Bristol, with a view to informing and helping other institutions undertake similar initiatives.
There are two main strands of work proposed under the Greening Events II project:
1. An Academic Event Profiler tool to allow the University of Bristol (and subsequently other universities) to systemically profile their event and travel footprints (including financial costs, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions and other sustainability impacts) in order to provide a baseline on which to measure any subsequent changes.
2. An Events Planning Toolkit to help event organisers think through what type of event (if at all) they need to hold (physical, virtual or hybrid) and then to provide assistance in the form of guidelines and technology tools with each stage in the process to enable to reduce the sustainability impacts of the event.
In particular the objectives are to:
- Create a methodology and tools for analysing the extent and costs (monetary, GHG emissions and other sustainability impacts) of academic travel for the University of Bristol and beyond
- Produce baseline figures for the University of Bristol to help create targets and monitor future reductions in academic travel
- Work with stakeholders at the University of Bristol (and beyond) to help create a set of tools and guidance for event planning.
- Document this work in the form of best practice reports and guidance materials so that other universities can benefit from the experience at the University of Bristol.
We are delighted to be working in collaboration with UKOLN at the University of Bath on this project. UKOLN will be providing their experience and expertise on how technologies may be used to ‘amplify events’ in order to maximise their impact.
See the project plan for more details.